TEHRAN – Foreign Minister Abbas Aragci has emphasized the importance of diplomacy to Iran’s nuclear program and warns there will be no “military solution” as tensions escalate following President Donald Trump’s threat to bomb Iran’s nuclear infrastructure.
“Diplomatic engagement has worked in the past and may still work. But all that there are “military choices,” not to mention “military solutions,” and so on, should be clear by definition,” he wrote Tuesday.
The Foreign Minister cited past US military interventions in the region. He said it costs more than $7 trillion in evidence of the catastrophic consequences of such a move.
Araguchi said he is committed to that pledge under the 2015 nuclear agreement, which never asks Iran to seek, develop or acquire nuclear weapons.
He added that the commitment remains intact despite the US unilateral withdrawal from nuclear deals during Trump’s first term.
“POTUS (the US President) may not like the 2015 nuclear deal, but it includes one important commitment by Iran, and even the US benefits.
Araghchi noted that there was no evidence to suggest that Iran had breached its obligations 10 years after the Joint Comprehensive Action Plan (JCPOA) was signed.
He cited a recent statement by US National Intelligence Director Tarsi Gabbard, who told the Senate Intelligence Committee last week that the US Intelligence Agency “continue to assess Iran as not building nuclear weapons.”