Hungary announced on Thursday its intention to withdraw from the Convention on Establishment of the International Criminal Court (ICC) during a visit to the state by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
MTI, a state news agency, reported the news shortly after Netanyahu arrived in Budapest.
The ICC issued an arrest warrant for Netanyahu in November on charges of war crimes in Gaza.
Hungarian Prime Minister Victor Orban said he would not implement it and invited Netanyahu to visit the province accordingly.
Orban’s Chief of Staff told MTI that the government is expected to begin the withdrawal process later Thursday.
Right-wing nationalist Orban is an ally and supporter of the Netanyahu government. When US President Donald Trump approved court prosecutor Karim Khan in February, Orban said Hungary should consider its relationship with the court.
All 125 states, which are parties to the law, including all EU countries, are under a legal obligation to arrest and waive Netanyahu in a Hague-based court.
The decision to withdraw does not immediately remove Hungary’s legal obligation to arrest Netanyahu and waive the ICC.
Under Article 127 of the Roman Act, Hungary must send a written notice to the Secretary-General of the United Nations to leave the treaty, and the withdrawal will take effect one year after receipt of the notice.
Hungary was one of the first countries to ratify the Roman Law, the treaty that established the ICC in 2002.
Once the withdrawal is in effect, it will become the first EU country to withdraw from the treaty.
The visit marks Netanyahu’s first trip to the ICC states since the court issued an arrest warrant to him and his former defense minister, Joab Gallant on November 21.
It was the first in the court’s 22-year history, and issued a warrant for arrests to senior officials who allied in the West.
Belgian Foreign Minister Maxim Prebat has accused Hungary of “deeply regretting” the decision.
“This is an important setback against international justice and the fight against immunity for the most serious crimes, including genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and attack crimes,” he wrote in X.
“It paves the way into a world where we may do the right thing.”
On Wednesday, ICC spokesman Fadi El-Abdallah condemned the Hungarian court’s ruling.
“This is not only a legal obligation to courts under Roman law, but also a responsibility to other states,” he told the eyes of the Middle East.
“If the state is concerned about working with the courts, they may consult the courts in a timely and efficient manner,” El Abdallah said. “But it is not for the state to unilaterally determine the soundness of the court’s legal decision.”
Netanyahu appeared to restrict his international travel since the ICC’s arrest warrant was issued five months ago.
His only trip so far was to Washington in February with an invitation from Trump.
Under the Netanyahu government, Israel faces charges of war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity.
The war between Israel and Gaza killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, forced most of its 2.4 million population, and barely allowed inhabiting the enclave.